Creating your own custom business app
Creating your own custom business appBy James Chiswell Jones It’s surprising (to me at least) how many small and medium sized businesses are running entirely on spreadsheets and other off-the-shelf software, often using tools that were not designed for the purpose. For instance, many businesses use Excel as their CRM or To Do list. On the other hand, custom software can bring many benefits to businesses including;
- Saving time
- Improved efficiency
- Simplified workflows
- Automation of repetitive tasks
- Consistent output of client facing material (reports, estimates etc)
- Reduction of errors from transcribing data from one system to another
- Ability to have access to critical information remotely via mobile devices such as iPhones and iPads
- Integration with existing standalone systems such as accounting software and websites
- Ask about FileMaker developers and get recommendations.
- When you’ve located a potential developer ask them for references (and speak to their referees!).
- Find out about their previous relevant experience.
- Ask to see examples of their work.
- Make sure you’re really clear about what you want to achieve, your budget and your timeframe for achieving it. Complex projects will need to be split into phases with agreed deliverables for each phase.
- Don’t pay for anything up front and make sure there’s a way of checking work in progress before you have to pay for it.
- Get your staff involved in testing and make sure your App does what it’s meant to do before you start using it.